Sunday, June 3, 2012

DIA DE MUERTOS (DAY OF DEATH)



By Gabriela Montes de Oca Casillas

For many people, when a person who you love a lot dies, is a good reason to cry.  But in Mexico the Aztecans has a different conception of the death. They thought that when you die, you are a lucky person because you’ll be with god. After the death you won’t feel pain anymore, and for celebrate that they make a banquet, on July 16th (the original date) these death people come back to take this banquet.

Candy skull
  Nowadays, Mexico celebrates this day on   
  November 1st and 2nd. We prepare food
  which was the favorite for death person before 
  to die. Mole, arroz, pollo, atole, tamales and frijoles are the
  traditional food that people make but on November 1st, we put  
  candies and toys for kids and  2nd we put alcohol for the adults. 
  
  Also the water, salt, candles and  cempasúchil flower are 
  important. The water calms down their thirst because they walk a
  long road. The salt is to purify their souls.  The candles help to light
  up their road. And the cempasúchil flower that is orange and has a
  hard smell to attract these people.

Cempasúchil flower

This day is very special in Mexico; a lot of people can see their family that is dying, now. For example, my mother every November 2nd smells like peppermint, and in the evening, she dreams with her grandfather. She smells like peppermint because her grandfather loved the peppermint. Also I want to know him, but He died before I borned. So one day of death, I dream with an old person who has a hat and white. He talked with me and also I met my aunt who died very young. When I woke up, I told to my mother what I dreamt; She was surprised, because I described her grandfather very well.

Banquet for death people
These kinds of things happen with a lot of people. Is very usual here in Mexico and also is a holyday very fun and beautiful.








2 comments:

  1. wow! i like this cultural writing because is very interesting know about mexican traditions and you explain very well day of death in mexico. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete