Saturday, June 2, 2012

The baby Jesus is coming…


by Alejandra Fabela Martinez 

If you want to speak about Mexican culture you will find lots to topics to mention; traditions, food, dances, clothes, legends, myths, etc. Each Mexican family adopt traditions inherit from their ancestors.

My family it´s a typical and normal Mexican family, I have two brothers and a sister, my parents proceeding of two big families, my mother with eleven siblings and my father with seven. During past times families were so big, but now that are different, also the traditions changes, we adapt them to or new style of life.

In my family traditions haven´t been changed. Christmas for example it´s a very important day for us and we consider it like one of the most important days of in the year.

Christmas meaning it´s when the baby God was born, we have to go to the church to thank God and we overwhelm the figure of baby Jesus. Also we shined him with a candle while we sing lullabies. It represents the birth of baby Jesus and we care him as a baby. This is a big party for my catholic family.

But other relevant point for Christmas is to share with family and all the members of my family have to be together. When the clock strikes twelve o´clock we should give us a hug and tell to each person what we wish for them. Sometimes we cried because of the good and lovely comments. After that we begin to dinner in a big and cute table.

My grandmother used to cook “romeritos” and “bacalao” for this day, also for dinner the traditional turkey or pork cooked in the oven, salad of fruits and pasta. My mother cooked the same because she likes to remember my grandmother and she learn it from her, so it´s a family tradition. My aunts do the same; if we ate something different would be strange.

And this is how my family and I celebrated this important day, I will continue with this tradition because my mother teaches me that and also it likes me a lot, maybe I´ll change it a little but the purpose will always be the same; to celebrate the birth of baby Jesus and to share with family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment